View Single Post
Old 02.18.2009, 10:02 AM   #98
jetengine
children of satan

jetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think it's as consistent musically and conceptually as what A Thousand Leaves is--or their other mainstream double LP from the '90s, Dirty. I think it comes across as a flawed masterpiece because (and I think I already mentioned this in this thread some time back) 'The Diamond Sea' got its tail chopped off, 'Becuz' got split in two and divided between sides 1 and 3, and it seems to be missing a number ('My Arena'?) regardless of whether 'Becuz' was kept in one piece or not (i.e., either way, Side 1 or Side 3 is going to seem truncated to vinyl listeners). So, from my angle anyway, the album sounds unfinished on 2 or 3 different levels. I can't understand how the band allowed Geffen to talk them into this. Sad, really.

A similar thing can be said about Sonic Nurse--at least to LP listeners: Sides 3 and 4 really need 'Kim's Chords', 'Beautiful Plateau' and 'Fire Engine Dream'. But at least all the numbers that made it onto Sonic Nurse never got chopped up and divided--at least to the best of my knowledge.
jetengine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|