View Single Post
Old 01.24.2019, 03:59 PM   #23465
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Ethan's a complex hero which only makes him and the film richer. The Searchers came towards the end of the classic era but its complexity (relative to that era) helped pave the way for the revisionists (Penn, Altman, etc) to come along and start deconstructing the myths according to contemporary values and events. The politics of Ford's films inevitably feel problematic when judged according to values formed in light of Vietnam and the Civil Rights era, but then so do a lot of revisionist westerns feel problematic now, when we consider say their treatment of women in light of the feminist-movement. And so on.
of course the complexity makes it richer, but its bias still leaves a bad taste in my mouth regardless. same way i can read quevedo and laugh and admire his incredible style but his antisemitic vitriol makes make me cringe.

anyway, just to pile it on (i have to, now) check this scene in clementine:

https://youtu.be/5UrcR_01-bM

did anyone notice?

the clip from 0:26 to 0:36 makes me puke in my mouth a little

ofc this is imperceptible to a lot of people
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|