View Single Post
Old 05.20.2015, 11:23 PM   #38742
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i think by 3 readings they mean the historical readings that go along w/ the writer's essays-- you don't need to write about fashion just say "these 3 would go along well w/ a fashion issue.

by demonstrating a grounding in the history of ideas i mean-- use the history of ideas to make your argument of why you should be picked.

what i mean is something like this--

this internship seems to me to be tailored for columbia post-docs (they're the ones w/ the history of ideas program). you here are the outsider.

so use the history of ideas to make your argument-- e.g., moses in the bulrush (you're moses, ha ha). but don't get biblical actually, the guy seems to prefer the greeks. another creature from the wilderness then-- oedipus. "i'll be your king and kill your crops!" no, im kidding. i don't know where to find this (that would be your job).

show the value of the outsider. of not being some trustafarian with 15 years in an academic hothouse. but do it with and through the history of ideas. from enkidu to "the consultant" (damn, that's a long arc)* connect it with "big" things (social, historical)

did you see how in the current issue lapham uses odysseus to revalue of deceit, all the way to daniel patrick moynihan and his pockets full of sawdust? of course he looks at the dark side too with ronnie bozo raygun. this is a continuation of socrates vs the sophists. but anyway, fuck credentials-- just put on a good show and reinvent yourself in the letter.

but purpose-- who needs one? ha ha-- i joke (only partially). i have to sleep now but maybe we continue this chat soon.

---

* hey, forget the greeks-- go sumerian! ha ha ha-- those guys were first in all
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|