View Single Post
Old 12.14.2014, 10:18 PM   #18383
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i try to watch a movie a day (can't always manage) but lately these have been remarkable in one way or another:

the man without a past (2002)

(the actual movie does NOT look washed out like this)

what can i say. kaurismäki rules all. i don't think there's a movie by him i don't love. his usual themes and motifs and aesthetics are here. it's never gonna be "oh, thrilling action and great effects" but damn, great fucking humans and a lovely, hand-made cinematography, plus great music.

chico & rita (2010)

the love story was pretty bleh, but the look into mid-century cuban music was amazing (even w/ the falsification of some dates making a certain bolero "appear" 11 years before it was written). holy fuck i loved the music here. and lovely voices. also a great graphic recreation of ancient times.

bad lieutenant port of call new orleans (2009)

[no picture cuz we can only post 4]

a lot less boring than the original bad lieutenant (which i never finished because zzzz). starts pretty depressing and suddenly, holy fuck, it's HILARIOUS. i thought there was something wrong with me for laughing at this shit but no, it's what herzog intended. you think you should be horrified but instead you laugh & laugh. great job. nicolas cage is the greatest live cartoon ever.

frank (2014)

ginger devil office drone rockstar wannabe meets eccentric experimental band. i ended up liking the music, particularly carla azar on drums. probably a great narrative for all sygers i'd imagine. not sure how much i would have liked it without the actual music though.

a nos amours (1983)

a crazy jumbled story that jumps through years in the life of an emotionally stunted teenager/young adult. as a "plot" movie, not much to say; as a kind of petit-bourgeois neorrealism, on the other hand, fantastic stuff. great lines of dialogue throughout and great performances.

i sort of feel like the character of... wasser name... sandrine bonnaire... is recycled decades later in "blue is the warmest color" but to a very different end... sort of, 2 paths of an unrefined sensualist (maybe it was the spaghetti that made me think of it, ha ha). the director maurice pialat, who also played the dad, was great as the dad, dispensing philosophy among the unworthy.

also caught stuff like:

guardians of teh galaxy. - ssssokay... redeemed by some humor. but overall nothing special.

looking for eric - rises from tv-episode quality by featuring a series of hallucinations featuring eric cantona. makes me regret not having known about cantona in his day. but other than than, a bit of "meh" film with nice people in it. i think it began promisingly and ended a bit too pedestrian and that was my problem with it.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|