View Single Post
Old 08.09.2011, 12:59 PM   #42
bloodcrystallisetosand
bad moon rising

bloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's asses
For me the problem with the Eternal is it's blandness. Not a word I thought could be associated with Sonic Youth, but there you go. The drum sound is obviously an issue, the whole thing sounds all shiny and glossy and soulless, there's no energy in the songwriting or the playing. It's all so by the numbers - on my first listen through I could predict, more or less without fail, where the verse would drop out into the noisy bit, then back to the chorus, etc etc etc... I mean Jesus man, even the Lee songs had no mojo. And before anyone gets on me for being a 'hater', it's the only studio album I don't like, I have all the SYRs (including an original Silver Sessions, which is the one that seems to have missed a mention so far but well deserving of one) and so on and so on...

Maybe they were saving the magic for the solo projects.
bloodcrystallisetosand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|