View Single Post
Old 07.17.2009, 03:00 PM   #16
cagedbird
the destroyed room

cagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's asses
Reactions to Goo these days seem mixed. Some really love it. Some pick out it's perceived failures. Others fault it's old-fashioned production.

As for me, I like it by virtue of its relation to Dirty. This relation is a revelation for someone who never saw it before.

Outside the super-fan commentary, Goo must seem a good representative album of Sonic Youth. It has the loose jams, the pop culture references and even the old-school hardcore throb of Mildred Pierce and others.

What can you say? I guess everyone has their personal reaons for loving it or finding it a clunker.

But I like the historical strand that runs through this thread. That's how I approach Goo, as a historical musical object. And lots of people commented on how it fits in the historical trajectory of Sonic Youth.

Maybe the amazement of seeing SY on a major has faded and we can see Goo as a bridge from the 80's to the 90's.
cagedbird is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|