View Single Post
Old 05.10.2017, 07:34 AM   #48711
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Ok, so, if I were a massive all-out Wilco fanatic, I might vote Being There just because it's a longer album and it would mean more Wilco at he show (presumably).

However, I can't really imagine why twice as many people would want to hear Summerteeth or YHF than A Ghost is Born. If you saw Wilco in the late '90s and early '00s (sometning I can almost guarantee many of these voters did), you've already heard those albums played in full, or close to it. And I can attest to the fact that "I am Trying to Break Your Heart" and "Poor Places" and "Ashes of American Flags" all the other scattery, studio epics from YHF don't exactly translate well into live performances. Those are headphone tracks. Their intimacy and stereo-headlines are lost in an arena or even a theater. I have never seen them performed in a way that measured up to the studio versions.

Regarding Summerteeth, again, like Flaming Lips and the Soft Bulletin, if you've seen the band since the album came out, you've probably seen the album performed more-or-less in full. Even if you saw these bands years after the release of their releases, chances are the tracks from these albums made up a good chunk of the non-new material either band played. This has been true of Wilco and certainly true of Flaming Lips in my experience.

Now, assuming that pretty much everything after 2005 is considered "post-peak" material for the band (still goood albums, but the pop culture sainthood had ended, let's be hienst), why then would anyone hope for anything other than A Ghost is Born?

Song-wise, it has the material that is most live-ready, and in my experience, translates the best into a live performance. It's an album of folk, kraut and shredding, with a bit of soul and bounce to boot. The songs are epic and will not devlolve into cluttered messes on stage (YHF). It has the soaciness and creative boundary pushing of YHF, but it's also a *rock* album.

A Ghost is Born is the only logical choice unless you're an old Uncle Tupelo nut and you want to get close to Anodyne (in which case I'd understand voting for A.M.).

Long story short, I'm right, other people are wrong, and A Ghost is Born is the album people SHOULD want to hear most, because LOGIC.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|