View Single Post
Old 02.02.2015, 01:38 PM   #3785
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Hesse I always found boring. I read fiction to be shown a world that I never experienced before. Hesse's fiction is like a boring lecture that you need to sit through because the information is quality, but the person delivering it is a monotone bore.

A girlfriend of mine once read me some pages of Steppenwolf. She found it very relevant with what she felt life was like - when in fact, what really was happening to her was that she had to chose who to dump among three men.

The pages she read were really boring.

Looking for a book I never found, I told a librarian that I'd pick whatever book she wanted. She handed me Steppenwolf. I reluctantly read it.

It was extremely boring in its first half. A boring life = a boring way to show it, in Hesse's mind. Which I found a bit easy.
Then, the routine is shattered, and it was kinda good.
I won't read it again though.

I've just finished The Nazi and the Barber, by Edgar Hilsenrath, and I liked it. There's a little dip in form, I'd say, circa 1950, but, that's more than ok.

Next: Laura Kasichke

Oh! And I read Ivan Gontcharov's Oblomov.
The most beautifully told love story I've read in years, even though it's nof half the subject of the book, centered on a man labeled as lazy, the poor weary bloke (how I relate to that).
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|