View Single Post
Old 04.29.2007, 04:51 PM   #18
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonikjuice
Can you explain this a little more? I've never heard of or seen them using musicians off stage. (I'm assuming that you're talking about Sonic Youth, not REM)

naw, i think the reference was to R.E.M. (who had 2 additional instrumentalists at the time, including scott mccaughey who's now been in the band for 10+ years and of course fronts the ineffable minus 5, w/ peter buck). i don't think a quartet enlisting 2 sidemen for their first major rock tour in 5 years is a huge deal (and they already had one on their previous tour).

of course, after bill left they had to get a replacement drummer, making it 3 'original' R.E.M. + 3 'sidemen' on subsequent tours.

and renderful, i'd stop contributing to this thread. the songs on rather ripped weren't written for 2 basses, and while i understand the point you were trying to make regarding multi-tracking, it's well-known that kim plays all the bass parts except on 'rats', which is thurston.

and yeh, kim's wrist problems are the primary reason for bringing her former free kitten bandmate along for the ride. i think he was a great choice, even if i do find the double-bass attack puzzling (though not 'bad' in any way). will be curious to see how they handle daydream.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|