Thread: SODERBERGH
View Single Post
Old 01.31.2013, 02:59 PM   #13
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
I had such the wrong impression. I kinda figured his greatness was taken for granted by most film nerds.

Full Frontal is highly recommended. A self-referential, multi-character thing that I find very moving. A hell of a lot shorter and a hell of a lot more immediately entertaining than the similarly-themed (and very pretentious) Short Cuts and Magnolia.

The Oceans films were low points, but with socially conscious cast members like Cloony, Pitt and Cheadle, you can feel good that some of the money went to worthy causes.

He has shot and edited just about everything himself, since Traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
solaris, i never wanted to see a remake of tarkovski, so i didn't see it. it's like going to see the psycho remake.

One of the great movie experiences is going in with low expectations, going out mighty impressed. This is why you should check out Solaris.

Same with Good German. It currently has a 33% on Rotten Tomatoes. Tell me if it's that bad.

With the lighter genre stuff (Out of Sight, Haywire, Erin B to some extent), I best appreciate them knowing that in just about anyone else's hands, they'd suck. He brings a unique intelligence and sensibility to all his projects (which is ultimately why he's an auteur, though usually not a screenwriter).

And his sensibility is really why I dig him at the end of the day. What he finds funny, I find funny. What he finds interesting, I usually find interesting. I love the look of everything he makes. etc. And as with people, if his "film personality" isn't your thing, it isn't your thing.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|