View Single Post
Old 06.02.2015, 12:09 PM   #46798
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
there's some neuroscience demonstration that a native speaker hears words first and music second whereas furrners hear music first. it's how the brain gets wired. i mention this often because it explains a lot about how certain great artists are either unexportable or greatly diminished outside their contexts.

for me nirvana was first and foremost about the drums. true story.

same as the police, btw. i couldn't give 2 shits about sting's pointless meowing but stewart copeland hell yeah.

There are a number of studies that demonstrate this and other neuro-linguistic phenomena relating to how your native language shapes the way you process and create information. It's pretty interesting, especially when you get into Chomsky's linguistic theories of culture, and the seemingly innate ability of children born in Zimbabwe to recognize and sounds that a non-native speaker of that language is by even physically capable of producing or hearing.

What does it all mean, Mr. Natural?

More relevant, perhaps, to the subject at hand is the cocktail party effect and other studies into language and attention.

It makes sense that a non-native English speaker would be more likely to attend to rhythm, melody, and other universal musical components than to words in a secndary language. Plenty of big fat opportunities for cool research here, if you ask me.

[/nerd]
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|