View Single Post
Old 05.13.2009, 05:51 PM   #60
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k
what is lacking in todays music is its ability to challenge the dominant ideology or provide any new form of transgression that doesn't lead to hedonistic self destruction thus destroying any revolutionary or emancipatory potential in the individual.

very little music is able to go beyond sucking off the dead guts of a past or imagined counter culture. people pretend there is still something somehow credible about outdated punk/noise moves.

the claim that the 90's bands killed off hair metal and flamboyance and indulgence is only partly true. people like thurston moore just ressurected it in the form of spewing out noise releases that are the modern equivalent of the 80's fretwanking guitar solo or 70's prog flamboyance indulgence.

The first two paragraphs I'm totally with you,. The third I think is a little too harsh harsh. Sonic Youth haven't been avantgarde since the 80's, or at least not in a more linear way that would make the fans rely on them for 'never heard before' new thrills throughout. I don't think that's a bad thing, since they still made some great records since then.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|