View Single Post
Old 02.11.2007, 03:07 PM   #93
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
No, not for classical - for classical, there's the score and live performance. Recordings take a back seat in classical.

Rock music is defined for me by the recording, it's one of the things that makes rock music interesting - that the recording is the central document - the work resides in the recording, not a score or in its realization.

I wasn't trying to knock live performance, I just think it's secondary, and so it couldn't make me change my opinion of a certain group. But then again, maybe it comes down to the individual group. I mean, its hard to say that the Grateful Dead are defined by their recordings. That would be dumb. But they're improvisational. Maybe its sort of a continuum when it comes to popular music or even 20th/21st century music in general. The addition of recording complicates things. I mean, there are 20th century classical works that exist only as recordings. Somebody needs to write a book on this, not me.

But rock in general became a distinct musical practice in the 60s (right?) and was initialllly defined by the recording. I'm thinking of the Beatles, Beach Boys, and so on. This is also why I feel that musicianship isn't all that important in rock music - being good on your instrument can almost get in the way even.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|