View Single Post
Old 12.28.2011, 05:56 PM   #67
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
From Pitchfork's Best of 2011 Guest Lists:

Quote:

Wild Flag's Carrie Brownstein

Top Things

01. Eleanor Friedberger: Last Summer: Eleanor has one of the coolest voices in music; it's both insouciant and savvy. She's a sophisticated storyteller, seeming to toss off tales of heartbreak-- tales of the city--like she was merely a passerby. But there is no sense of detachment in these songs, Friedberger is undeniably at the core.

02. Beginners by Mike Mills: I really related to this movie, and not just because my dog has been talking to me for years. Beginners is an elegant tale about the inelegant, confounding and often gut-wrenching nature of transitions.

03. St. Vincent, live in concert: The best metal show of the year.

04. Quitting Facebook: I'd say that this felt liberating except that I'm sitting here wondering-- as one wishes they could do at their own funeral-- how many "likes" and comments I got for leaving. Plus, now I'll never know what some friend of mine from high school had for breakfast today. Oh wait, I'll check Twitter.

05. The Future by Miranda July: One of the most powerful and elegiac meditations I've seen on the fine line between connection and disconnection. It's the out-of-focus of nearness, the clarity of distance, and the devastating realization of that disparity. I really don't get the argument that July's work is twee. So what if a cat narrates this film? Cats can claw your eyes out. This shit is hardcore.

06. Dancing to Flo Rida and Drake in a tiny airstream trailer in Birmingham, Alabama: Dance parties should always be: spontaneous, sweaty, seductive.

07. Plushy convention near Wesleyan University in Connecticut: My band was supposed to stay at a hotel that was hosting a Plushy Convention, but our tour manager promptly checked us out after realizing we were the only non-Plushy guests. (Note to tour manager: don't you want us to have any fun?) In other words, this is the "best of" that never was. I still dream of a man dressed as a squirrel serenading me with Soundgarden songs transposed on a lute, and of throwing back whiskey shots with three zebras and a Snoopy. And that's before the lights go out. 2012 for sure.

08. Philip Larkin poems: I get a little homesick on tour, and though we all want it to, sometimes listening to "The Load Out" by Jackson Browne just won't suffice as a summary of life on the road. Thus, I turn to this Larkin line: "Home is so sad. It stays as it was left/ Shaped to the comfort of the last to go/ As if to win them back."

09. Childish Gambino: Camp: The best way to describe my relationship with this album is enamored. It has an energy, a searching, a sincerity and a freshness that I want to climb into over and over again.

10. Homemade Kombucha: I had a dogsitter who left three vats of the stuff in my bathroom cabinet. As if in a hippie-themed horror film, I followed a strange scent upstairs until I discovered the source of the stench. There are two ways to describe what I saw: 1) a pancake taking a bath. 2) A stillbirth. Either way, the pancake baby is still there because I don't own a Hazmat suit. Why is this on my best of 2011 list? Because if I can get rid of this stuff before January 31st, it will make my year.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|