View Single Post
Old 01.24.2013, 01:26 PM   #17045
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i know you like the more what should i say the more actor-oriented films? dramas, you know, what bresson called filmed theatre, and yes there are great great movies in that style, but this one is just so much eye candy, so much of a visual pleasure, primarily, and then only everything else.

it can be exhausting and boring and all that-- but it's beautiful.

like i don't know- l'avventura is also visually gorgeous slow and boring.

anyway i hope you get to see it-- the bluray is the wrong aspect ratio, but it's still amazing for the quality it brings to the screen

http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/ba...-aspect-ratio/

^^ look, even this man calls it boring. but i call it delicious!

---

ps- read this if you wanna nerd it up!

http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/amk/d...erview.bl.html

That's a great interview but you're definitely right. I tend to go for quite simple, actor-oriented stuff, which clearly isn't Kubrick's forte. I don't mind extravagance, I love Fellini, but what separates him from Kubrick is his human/emotional side. As I like to say (ad nauseum) the most 'human' character in any of the Kubrick films I've seen was HAL. As a technician he's beyond criticism but my preference will always be with those movies more atuned to the human element, be it a Ford western or a Laurel and Hardy comedy. Give me Renoir over Godard all day long. It's the same with literature. As unfashionable as they now are, I'll still take a Dickens or a Steinbeck over pretty much anything else. And I much prefer dogs to cats.

Although I don't want to paint myself too much into a corner. I'm not just a sentimentalist. Some filmmakers I like a lot are a little on the 'cold' side (Antonioni, Hawks, etc) but they're definitely an exception to the rule.

Edit: I don't like Koyana-whatsitsface at all and Solaris isn't my favourite Tarkovsky movie, but I love Mirror, so it's never straightforward. It's about where you draw the line, for El Symbols it's Inland Empire, for me it's anything that might potentially remind me of a Peter Greenaway film - but then I like The Cook, the Thief so, again, it's never straightforward.

As an aside, a film critic who had an enormous affect on helping me define my taste was Manny Farber, in particular his essay 'White Elephant Art vs. Termite Art'. Not suggesting anyone read the whole thing (although it's short enough that you could). Either way, even if Farber himself later went on to distance himself from its message, it still pretty much nails a general position for me.

http://www.jambop.com/jambop/2004/11...elephant_.html
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|