View Single Post
Old 05.20.2017, 09:29 AM   #113
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
what makes "All The Single Ladies" different than other singles by Beyonce?

Uhhhh... first of all it's called "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on it)," and second, it's the fucking buzzsaw synths in the chorus that make it sound different than other Beyoncé singles.

I was just thinking about this track the other day. It's still dope, and it's damn near a decade old. It might have been Beyoncé's first really great song, and her only truly transcendent single. Even now (I see you made this comment years ago, so forgive my brashness, btw), with Bey being "acceptable" listening for people who otherwise listen to ... well... I guess Sonic Youth... it still stands as her most crizazzy banger. Per Wikipedia, it "uses hand claps, minor chords, spaced-out synthesizers, robotic effects and an ascending whistling in the background," all of which contributed to a unique sound that was probably more fizzy hip-hop than true R&B.

What caught my attention about it at the time (and, mind you, this was the first Beyoncé song I ever liked, or had any desire to listen to more than once) was how aggressive it sounded, particularly during the key change in the chorus. It has a lightning-in-a-bottle effect, and for Severian circa 2008, who was still reeling from a year-long Cryptograms bender, it sounded like the most refreshing thing in pop music.

'Course now it's a wedding song.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|