View Single Post
Old 04.13.2006, 12:58 PM   #56
silverfreepress (sdasher)
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
The issue is interesting. I'm guessing the leak came from someone getting a review copy and putting it online. How many review copies have gone out domestically 250-500? And it only takes one person to spend 5minutes and its online.
A band spends hundreds of hours coming up with ideas, the recording process, post production, tweeks and artwork. Then setting up a release date with the label only to have it pop up for free on a superhighway.
I think its unavoidable. Unless you refuse to distrubute review cd's which might have a more damaging effect on sales than pre sale internet distrubution. I mean Eminem would have critics come in to listening stations. Perhaps only vinyl preview copies would limit the rip offs. I don't know.
Whatever the case posting the album for download on the bands site is wack. Its taking control of the bands art and deciding to make your own official release. Like here it is, enjoy. I didn't have anything to do with the process except the supply, lap it up.
The writer of the Harry Potter books, JK Rowling, does an amazing job of keeping her work secret, something so many people clamor for and its completly hidden until she wants the lid off, so its not impossible.
But people saying music is music so its free for you and me? You can't walk into Schwinn and drive off with one of their proto types and not expect people to cry thief.
Simon
silverfreepress (sdasher) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|