View Single Post
Old 11.14.2014, 08:03 PM   #11
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Ok, official album of the week:

Vladislav Delay - Vista

I was reminded of how much I adore the multi-pseudonymed work of Delay/Ripatti/Luomo immediately, and I've been digging into his back catalogue for some kind of additional fix. But every time I put on an older recording, I find myself wanting to hear Vista again. So it's pretty much owned my life since first listen.

I appreciate the ambient vibe of the record, but like the more adventurous installments of the RIPATTI label series this is experimental footwork plain and simple, though it's neither plain nor simple.

This is what Footwork the genre is all about. Fan comments in response to Ripatti01 were pretty united in their "this is just polyrhythmic Dnb/technoid/IDM etc." but it's fucking footwork. I'm not sure why yet, I've spent most of the year digging into footwork comps and listening to everything from the genre's leaders like Rashad, to the most ubderground Chicago dj's, and while I'm still unsure where everything else stops and footwork begins, I think the genre is supposed to exist in the periphery of other more traditonal sub-styles. This is certainly Vladislav Delay, and it picks up where the singles and collabs from 2013-14 left off.

But either way, whatever you want to call it, it's an ingenious record. Album of the week, no fucking question.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|