View Single Post
Old 06.25.2010, 11:15 AM   #35917
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Wonky can be quite difficult to explain, I guess it's easier to get if you actually listen to it. It's related to dubstep, but has a different feeling and sound - yet some artists are really between dubstep and wonky and can't be really placed in either one rather than the other (see: Rustie). Wonky has a more instrumental hip hop vibe, but with "glitchy" beats, unstable synths, more distorted sounds, and different atmospheres. In my opinion, it's where the most interesting things are. Wikipedia used to describe it as a mix of dubstep and skweee, now it's "Wonky is a term used to describe a tendency to use mid-range unstable synths, complex and unusual time signatures that appeared before summer 2008, among a range of musical genres, including hip hop, hyphy, grime, chiptune, dubstep, crunk, and electro.[1]".

Pretty clear indeed?
Artists you need to check out: Dorian Concept, Hudson Mohawke, Flying Lotus, Rustie, Nosaj Thing, 1000names, Ikonika, Zomby, Starkey, Lorn, Harmonic 313, Architeq, Fulgeance, etc etc etc. Tons of things basically, this scene is incredible. That scandinavian skweee scene is also fucking interesting. Dubstep and dubstep related scenes are probably the most interesting thing in electronic music right now if you ask me.
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|