View Single Post
Old 08.14.2011, 12:14 AM   #15057
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
DMNR66 - any Jean Rollin recommendations?

Rape of the Vampire/Le viol du vampire - His first film and a bit of a mess but ithas everything a Rollin film should: a beach scene; no logic whatsoever; hippie vampires; nudity. Even by Rollin's standards, though, it's pretty much all over the place. Recommended but by no means his best.

Requiem for a Vampire - Another one for the die hard. The first half hour has no dialogue and features two girls wandering around dressed as clowns. Very dream-like but undeniably a bit boring, too.

Demoniacs - Rollin's attempt at making a pirate movie, which inevitably becomes a vampire movie pretty quickly. I know people who absolutely despise this movie but for me it's one of his best.

La Vampire Nue/The Naked Vampire - Visually very good but I remember giving up on the plot fairly quickly. If you liked Le frisson, though, you should like it. It's got a neat sort of James Bond thing going on.

Fascination - Brilliant. The horror theme is fairly low key and it lacks the madness of Frisson but in many ways this is Rollin's best and almost certainly his most polished film - relative to other Rollin movies, obviously. It also includes probably the most iconic Rollin image ever:

Zombie Lake - Even among fans of 'Eurotrash', this seems to get a really hard time. The problem is it has one great scene, when the nazi zombie come out of the lake, but nothing much happens after that. The story is that it was some kind of collaboration gone wrong between Rollin and Jess Franco, with both disowning it. I like it but of all his pre-80s films, it's probably his worst.

The Iron Rose - Probably his artiest and most dreamlike movie but as beautiful as some of the scenes, the film itself can be a bit of a chore to sit through. Great but very much something you need to be in the right mood for. (Although that's probably something you could say about all his films.)

I tend not to like anything he did after those. Some of the later ones have the odd good scene but generally it's his late 60s-70s stuff that I really love.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|