View Single Post
Old 08.13.2007, 12:29 PM   #37
ThePits
stalker

ThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy
you sound like no fun to be around.

can you explain in greater detail how the damage is being done? are you against soul seek and other d/l sites etc?

As you have never been around me I will refrain from commenting on the "fun" line

OK, with album sales down by between a third and two thirds, depending on the record label, over the last ten years, income to support and develop new talent is at an all time low

A large part of that decline is due to piracy

An A&R department in one label I know of had its budget slashed by 25% last year

Within the figures and estimates for piracy comes what is being discussed here, i.e. the bootlegging of live gigs

So its not all of the problem but a part of it

The same as bootleg band merch leeches money that is increasingly relied on to support production costs for live shows

A person recording a show for their own private use is one thing, selling it is another so lets be clear on the difference

Its selling the stuff that does the damage, and yes people do sell bootlegs and they do make a living at it

The bottom line is less income at the record companies = less new bands and artists getting vital support to reach an audience bigger than their local pub

If you require an even more detailed explanation let me know
ThePits is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|