View Single Post
Old 08.25.2006, 03:41 PM   #51
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
radical adult, yours & top 40 squeeze's Cat Power comments are right along the lines of something I was thinking, albeit somewhat jokingly, that YYYs were trying to beat Chan to the punch hehe.

YYYs fans should listen to this FM of a The Pretenders show I have from Amsterdam 1980.

I was in the process of listening to some very well-crafted, almost poppy, if you will, post-punk on The Replacements' Let it Be album when I interrupted the proceedings to check out this cover. So with that in mind, what I think is that overall, the track just sort of lays there, which happens to be quite cool in the beginning because it evokes a quality of the mood of the original in the process (with all the pregnant pauses of silence), but after awhile it gets to be a little monotonous. If one were unfamiliar with the original, one might assume that Sonic Youth sounded like Sparklehorse, but even still, it wasn't as bad as I imagined. That's about the best I can say for it. The vocal delivery does have some charm; it's not completely horrible by any means, but it's difficult to say whether I would have appreciated the cover at all if I didn't know the original. They should have added a stipped-down approximation of one of Lee's parts on guitar during the first part of the outro. It's true that sometimes less is more & in the case of trying to cover The Diamond Sea, that's really the only route one can take with any confidence, so the way the cover is executed is a good, although obvious, (in that sense) choice.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|