View Single Post
Old 04.06.2006, 04:58 PM   #74
SpankMarvin
little trouble girl

SpankMarvin has a brilliant futureSpankMarvin has a brilliant futureSpankMarvin has a brilliant futureSpankMarvin has a brilliant futureSpankMarvin has a brilliant futureSpankMarvin has a brilliant futureSpankMarvin has a brilliant futureSpankMarvin has a brilliant futureSpankMarvin has a brilliant futureSpankMarvin has a brilliant futureSpankMarvin has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by qprogeny79
if wal-mart treated its employees poorly, no one would want to work for it. and i'm curious to see how you'd argue that wal-mart "undermines the first amendment" . . . the first amendment establishes limits only on the power of CONGRESS, not private corporations. if wal-mart wants to practice censorship, that is its prerogative.

Right. And most people would say that such a prerogative is a shitty one which dictates where one will choose to spend one's money. It's like voting - do you support the right when you're pro left? No, you support the party which reflects your principles. Likewise, you spend your money where you want that money to go. I'm hardly an activist, but I flatly refuse to buy Nestle products. I am guilty of being less than proactive in otehr areas, but this one is easy to keep up. I hate Nestle. I am glad that none of my limited finances go to further their ethics. Although most of the information I know about Walmart is second, third-hand, it's still reliable enough for me to shop elsewhere.

I daresay it's true that Walmart treats its immediate employees extremely well. The problem is that many large corporations are able to have this as a handy distraction from the few-degrees-removed exploitation of those even more in need than Mr Meet and Greet.

The most alarming thing about Walmart, as I have found in my limited experience of it, is that it will invariably stink of shitty nappies (daipers).
SpankMarvin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|