View Single Post
Old 05.28.2006, 11:33 AM   #8
khchris(original)
100%

khchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by amh
Yeah, I am the author. I write for the site, so I hope me posting the link doesn't come across as disingenuous. Afterglow? Well at times I feel SY has mellowed out. I mean, Thurston, Kim, Steve and Lee just can't make the same noise as they did with Goo or Dirty. They are more mature now, and their music kind of reflects that. My own opinion, of course. Thanks for reading!

Pink Steam.

I don't like the review at all. Honestly, I hate the new cover and one thing SY have done almost their entire career was to not make things so predictable from a visual standpoint, whether it was from cover art or their own identities. So for SY to have this very urban cut/paste primitive looking cover does not peak my interest, it also doesn't lead me to believe that SY are going back to the more "experimental days"(which really ended in 85 anyways).

The review of Rather Ripped leads you to believe that SY are "progressing" in a more simplistic, but effective way of writing the same songs that they've recently been writing over the last several years.

I totally disagree.

I think SY have always been about simplistic yet more effective approach and it wasn't until A THOUSAND LEAVES where they abandoned that approach. They haven't used this approach since WASHING MACHINE, so it's no coincidence that RATHER RIPPED sounds much more like GOO/DIRTY/WASHING MACHINE-era SY than it does SONIC NURSE.

I don't look at RATHER RIPPED as a "progression of Sonic Nurse into a more simple, short but effective approach".

I look at RATHER RIPPED as a way of saying, "hey, let's get back to what we enjoyed doing most and what we are better at".

The review says that INCINERATE is "nothing like the band's older work" and that couldn't be further from the truth. When you listen to the beginning of INCINERATE, it has very huge similarities to DIRTY(especially midway through CHAPEL HILL where clean guitar takes prominence until the distorted guitar comes in).

The review sounds as if it was done by someone that's not too familiar with SY's entire body of work or even early 90s work, which was midway through their career. SY have not done anything resembling NO WAVE since the first EP. I wouldn't even call CONFUSION IS SEX "no wave" either. But I think most fans would agree that SY have ditched their "no wave" approach to music after BAD MOON RISING(which came out in 85...20 years after RATHER RIPPED is coming out). There really isn't alot of fans of SY from that NO WAVE era and most SY fans do not prefer the NO WAVE approach of their albums over classics like SISTER or DAYDREAM NATION. The review makes it out to look like most fans may not like it because it's not "no wave", but that just isn't true. SY really didn't expand themselves until AFTER their No Wave days.

I don't see SY as an "experimental" band...they abandoned that title in 85. Sure they have done SYR, TV SHIT, and other more aggressive things, but that doesn't mean that SY are an "EXPERIMENTAL" band.

That's like saying "BLUR IS A PUNK BAND" because they do a punk song on almost every album.

And the reference to TERROR TWILIGHT...please. That's a sure sign the writer doesn't really know SY well enough to accurately compare what SY's previous work has been.

I'm sure the guy is nice and he does give SY a compliment, but as a review, I think it's very very misrepresentational of what SY really are.
khchris(original) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|