View Single Post
Old 08.18.2008, 01:21 PM   #31
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I'm sure some of you may know the classic song by Captain Beefheart, "1010th Day of the Human Totem Pole", if not:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/d1a6xp

You must hear it...

And answer the following:

1) Anyone know what tuning this is in? I'm guessing Open G...

2) How the FUCK does one go about remembering all those notes? There is another version of this song (on the original "Bat Chain Puller" album), played with 2 guitarists, and neither guitarist is the guitarist on this recording.. In fact, I think the whole band is completely different... but yeah, they play the EXACT same notes. I know for a fact they didn't have sheet music when playing this stuff. And I know the answer is just "they practiced a lot", but goddamn.. that's a lot of notes that don't really seem to go together to be played perfectly by 3 different guitarists...

I'll give scoring this a bash, but I can't be arsed to tab it... basically, there's 6 or 7 basic parts with minor variations - if you think of it like that, it's a question of remembering the 6 or 7 basic parts and then remembering the variations - I haven't started on it yet, but I'd guess you've got something like:

Riff one > variations 1, 2, 3 bridge to riff two, then variations 1, 2, 3 etc

I mean, remembering it would be difficult, and playing it in time with the drumming (the interplay there is ridiculous), and ignoring Don's sqawking would make it incredibly difficult, but it's not beyond the capacities of an above-average guitarist (the question is how the fuck Don wrote this...).

I'm not sure whether an alternate tuning is necessary, I can't hear any drones or intervals that are beyond normal reach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|