View Single Post
Old 01.03.2019, 07:59 AM   #2
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
thanks

it’s a lot like john waters’ “pecker” which maybe should be required viewing along with this article

one big problem i have with this essay is that avedon is blamed for his douchey reviewer. that’s a major bananapeel in its reasoning. i don't think avedon had a contemptuous look. if anything he found beauty everywhere.

the other problem here is an abscence: the notion that the poor don't get the power of photography. might have been so in the past, but these days of ubiquitous cellphone cameras, and twitter and instagram and facebook, the “trumpland” inhabitants at least all take photographs, even the ones with the beards and ripped flannel shirts. [eta: the avedon boy with a rattlesnake has a facebook]

but then the argument gets good, in the second part, when it focuses on the art world itself, and the individual responsibility of the photographer it picks up steam, and finishes well.

thanks for the link!

now if someone could write about popular photo sites like “the people of walmart” (which i hate...). those inflict a greater damage than any art gallery. they don’t even try to make an aesthetic appeal—they’re all just about derision, condescension, cruel laughter, feeling better by looking at someone "inferior." fuckem.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|