View Single Post
Old 01.20.2017, 10:05 AM   #1041
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Puerto Rico has black Puerto Ricans with jewish names. Brown Puerto Ricans with German names. Chinese 4th generation Puerto Ricans. All types. I hate the terms used to describe people from Latin America. THey (white folks, you know, the ones who run shit?) like to use one term to generalize about hundreds of millions of people living in wildly different countries with wildly different histories and culture. Latino means nothing. Italians are LATIN-o for Mario's sake. Hispanic means only that your first language is spanish, which leaves out Brazil and several other smaller countries which do not speak Spanish mainly. People from Spain are Hispanic by definition.

I really didn't intend to sweep everyone under one rug. And fuck me, I am only presuming that the American Gods show is focusing on "people from Latin America" (your term), based on the dialogue I've heard in previews and casting choices. The story is about the "original immigrants" — gods from a host of different cultures, so even even if the main characters are from the Norse pantheon, multiculturalism is a major part of the whole thing. If the shoe is anything like the book and stories, it will include Arabic, Hindu, Crimean, and South African characters, mythologies and cultural histories, among others.

I apologize if what I said was insulting or dismissive in ANY way.

Though just to be clear, when I was in school I took a graduate course in cultural social work, and (because generalist MSW courses are often terrible) we studied racial and cultural designations. For better or worse, "Latino/a" was the recommended term.

Not passing the buck on my poor cultural literacy, but I am definitely deflecting part of the blame to the American academic system.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|