Thread: Teenage Riot
View Single Post
Old 01.31.2011, 06:38 PM   #25
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
He was just a composer? That's all he was? A composer. So if, say, Aphex Twin suddenly picks up a guitar - any guitar, tuned, stringed or not - and hits it with an object, he suddenly, after some 20-odd years of 'not being a musician', becomes a musician because he's made a sound with an object with an apparent surface acoustic? Are pianist musicians? Only they (like dance producers) don't directly affect the production of sound but set the mechanics into motion for that sound to be produced. Same with a cimbalom or a hurdy-gurdy. Theraminists - are they musicians?

Again, missed the edit: programming a computer doesn't make you a good musician. What is an instrument? I'd guess the definition is 'a means of producing sound' - you'll notice it's the same word we use to refer to objects with functions - a hammer is an instrument to hit nails in with. A guitar, computer, whistle or wolf carcass are all instruments that can produce sounds; that is, they are the instruments of musicians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|