View Single Post
Old 02.01.2015, 10:16 AM   #129
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
acutally three. he has a hidden verse at the end of Blessings too (which i posted in the last page). and yeah the more Kanye the better.

what do you guys think about the Only One video? not gonna lie, i teared up a bit the first time i watched it. Kanye and Spike Jonze did it again.

I haven't seen the video. Truthfully, I've tried to steer clear of Kanye videos for the most part. Ever since I gave in and became a straight-up fan, I've really tried to let my relationship with Kanye West exist only in the sonic space between his music and my ears.

I read about him, but I am picky about what I read. I stay away from smear stories and comedy sketches. Sometimes I'll watch an interview if It's not linked to me by some biased headline about how "crazy" he is.

Videos have always had a strange effect on me, especially when I see them after really falling for a song. It's because I develop a personal relationship with the song, and it feels pure and true (sorry 4 the cheese); then I see someone else's take on it and I can never unsee it, so if it Fucks with my perception of the song too much, I risk never being able to listen to the song the same way I did when it was just the music and my own imagination (which-- because of my synaesthesia or my Asperger's or my brilliance or my retardedness or whatever-- always seems to add the perfect color, hue, brightness and associative imagery to the music I hear).

Does that make sense? I'm sure you get it-- but does anyone else experience this?

Once in a while a video will do a better job than my own brain (subjectively speaking of course). One of those instances was when the video for "My Hero" by the Fop Fighters came out. I had almost ignored the song, never thinking it as a standout, even in those strange early post-Nirvana years when everything within 2 degrees of separation from Nirvana felt like a blessing. Anyway, I listened to The Colour & The Shape without ever really feeling that song.

When the video came out, as grandstanding as it was, it gave the song a sort of vital importance and heartbreaking urgency. To this day it's one of my favorite videos, and even though the Foos are now the antithesis of all that is good and holy, that song still makes my heart race. I love it. So in that instance it took a better mind than my own to color and shade the music.

But I remember there was a direct correlation between my increasing appreciation of Kanye's music, and my self removal from TV, social media, music journalism and sites like pitchfork. The more I listened to YOU assholes ( ) and the more I listened to the small Kanye library I had, without input from anyone else, the more I liked him. In this time I went from publicly slamming him ("except 808's and MBDTF and WTT") to owning hard copies of all of his albums, and ranking every one of them at least an A-.... Not to mention taking an unscheduled 2 hour lunch so I could run to the store and buy Yeezus the day it hit stores, listening to it in full in my car while I should have been at the office.

So long story short, I'm afraid my now perfect opinion of my now all time top 3 artist will be altered by too much exposure to anything other than his music. My life was a lot more organized pre-Kanye, but it was significantly less interesting, and my love for music was slipping a bit. I don't want to go back.

You can't make me.

Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|