View Single Post
Old 08.21.2007, 03:24 AM   #35
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think I've been more excited this year than when I slipped on my headphones to listen to the Magik Markers' new album 'BOSS'. I've been waiting for this for so long, by which I mean I've been waiting for a song-based Markers album since I first clapped eyes on them. Now, I don't prioritise songs over the Magik Markers usual violent improvisitional squall, but it's really nice to hear, and though it's important to note that this isn't some sort of year zero this-is-the-new-us affair (I'm guessing the song-based approach will just be another facet to their arsenal of sound), 'BOSS' is their most cohesive record so far, hanging together better than, say, 'Road Pussey' or 'A Panaegyric...'. Pete's drumming sounds fucking large here, and Elisa, well Elisa does groaning feedback like no-one else at the moment. There's a trippy, wasted vibe to the whole album, and is rarely provocatively noisy (in marked contrast to their previous work) - in fact, 'Bad Dream' is a gorgeous acoustic song underpinned by sweet ambient drones from Pete, and 'Empty Bottles' builds on the piano works explored on 'For Sada Jane' and the 'Last Of The Redstones' CDR. For the most part, though, it's dissonant downer blues. With tunes!

Ultimately, these are the psychedelic sludge noize jams we've been waiting for, and if there's a better album by the year's end, my mind will probably explode.

http://thewirewool.blogspot.com/2007/08/lemach.html
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|