View Single Post
Old 09.21.2017, 10:00 AM   #21
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
the wall street journal is a good paper! try reading it some day

i'm not saying that i agree with its political positions but they actually still practice journalism and go gather facts and shit. their business and economics reporting is really impressive.

i got a trial subscription for labor day and they send me something like 20 newsletters per day with charts showing me the progression of rent inflation (higher that wage growth) and how at the edges of unemployment businesses are having trouble finding qualified applicants (bring more immigrants, i say) and innumerable other facts and trends that help me understand the world better in a way that no other publication does. (okay, maybe bloomberg is a match, but i don't have a subscription).

anyway, that article you posted is nice, it delves more into the aesthetic function of criticism but does not refute the wsj piece in any way, it actually deepens and reinforces and complements the original argument.

and props to the wsj for looking at actual FACTS and demonstrating a trend with verifiable evidence, which is what professionals do. their focus is business and industry so that's clearly their angle. nothing dumb about that piece or its approach to its subject.

I agree all around about WSJ. I don’t have a subscription, but I used to, and it’s a paper that I will pick up at the store fairly regularly, and even (gasp!) read in the library when I’m there.
Yes, it’s a Rupert Murdoch joint, but even so it’s perhaps the best example of a print publication still devoted to facts over clicks and sales in the 2010s. (Of course, part of its success in this regard is certainly due to the dependability of its readership — mostly older, over-educated, well-off white folks; not a ton of kids or working class laborers thumb through the thing, but whatever.)

HOWEVER... I don’t think Mr. Nazi was trying to refute WSJ by posting the Wire’s story (which I’m still reading, or taking a break from reading, as I type this). I think he was just saying “hey, here’s another take on this whole thing,” and offering it up as supplemental reading for the thread.

And, y’know, one really shouldn’t expect a mag like The Wire to present information in a similar way to WSJ. They’re two totally different beasts; one is a newspaper (a newspaper’s newspaper!), and the other is a feature-laden entertainment magazine. So I think the disparity between the two in terms of fact reporting is kind of a non-issue, as the two pubs simply don’t exist to produce the same kind of product. *shrug*
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|