View Single Post
Old 02.21.2008, 01:46 PM   #4
themawt71
the destroyed room

themawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's asses
yeah derek's great. his early love of 12 tone composers really influenced his use of large and typically dissonant intervals.

the way he uses harmonics is very unique. he tends to alternate frequently between fretted notes and harmonics making a single "line" with both.

it's always important for him to keep his guitar in tune because otherwise he couldnt do what he does. ie he knows what he is doing. at first his playing may seem like anyone could do it but some of the shit he pulls off is super technical and pretty challenging

a favorite chord of his seems to be G# on the 4th fret of the E string, the open A string or fifth string, the F# on the 4th fret of the D string, and the open G string or 4th string.

yeah atsonic, i thought it was weird too that he didnt necessarily like to play solo tho he seemed to do alot of it. i think he considered playing solo a place to work on his ideas or language but because there was no one to play with or react to it was sort of like navel gazing or something. correct me if im wrong but i seem to remember his saying something like this.

his solo stuff seems to be my favorite tho he sounds great playing duo with han bennink on one piece i have of theirs. ive been meaning to find this whole cd at somepoint. didnt like topography of the lungs so much tho but maybe i should give it another try. i seem to like him better solo or in duos or trios. i do like his standards cd. the tunes do something cool to his improvs or maybe its the other way around. ive never heard play so melodically.

also his documentary(s) on youtube about improvisation are pretty interesting.
themawt71 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|