View Single Post
Old 01.04.2017, 11:30 AM   #48414
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Wait, you dont like Bee Thousand? I put that one above Alien Lanes. Barely, but still.

No I like Bee Thousand. I like tons of GBV albums. But I don't listen to any of them from start to finish anymore except for Alien Lanes. Even that one I haven't heard in a while. Part of it is that the good songs are so painfully catchy that they creep into my skull like the space slug from The Wrath of Khan and control my mind from within. They're a real bitch to get out.

Bee Thousand is just fine. Great even. But it's not, like, an album album. None of them are. I tend to like albums I can play through from beginning to end. Guided by Voices have never made this kind of music, but I also don't think they've ever tried. Obviously Robert Pollard is an gifted, but VERY inconsistent songwriter and obsessive compulsive recorder.

He's comparing himself to SY and the Lips, two bands with similar obsessions with recording tons and tons of music, but who have both, along the way, learned and perfected the art of album-making as well... not to mention Sonic evolution. GBV is important and has been great, but they — ok, I guess it's just "he" at this very late point in the game nobody's watching — is just not at the SY level. Nowhere close, in fact, to Sonic Youth or the Lips.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|