View Single Post
Old 06.09.2018, 12:42 PM   #22593
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
jane campion’s SWEETIE (198...9?

im seriously wondering why outside of the mainstream success of “the piano” i never heard about jane campion. she’s fucking great. watched holy smoke the other day and loved it (ok, kate winslet helped, still, it was a good story). now i found this older movie by her on criterion.

what can i say? #1 is beautifully fucking filmed, really, it’s like if soap operas were shot in heaven haa haa haa haa. i can’t explain. it’s just very fucking good.

the writing is great also. totally unexpected/weird story that does not even... it’s not even what you thought was gonna be about. not at all. by which i therefore mean: nothing else is like this! and that’s the sign of a true artist or what.

this gets billed as a comedy and yeah it’s very funny/has very funny moments but it’s no way just that. it’s got a bit of everything and it’s much better and strange as fuck. not strange like david lynch strange. more like... anybody here remembers maybe baghdad cafe? anyone? no. kinda like that sorta but not on purpose— more natural than “a collection of misfits”. this movie is about families i guess and we all have those to whatever extent.

ok.

today im gonna try catching her first short (supposedly, but looks more like her 3rd one) which won palme d’or at cannes back in the prehistory of the world.

ps. also on criterion channel watched a 9 minute short called “let’s kill mr. kinski” haaaa haaaa haaaa that insane motherfucker. yeah good stuff.

Great Filmmaker!

Binging on some ethnofiction. Jean Rouch was a genius and very distinctive filmmaker!