View Single Post
Old 09.21.2010, 08:22 PM   #4
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
I became more enthusiastic about music when I was around 16 - 17 and by that time the file sharing culture was already there, not as widespread as today, but still. So I never really experienced the social word of mouth aspect of finding music. Especially when none of my friends were particularly outspoken about music.
Internet solely got me interested in shit (not literally).

But my enthusiasm has been periodical. after the initial interest I obviously hoarded stuff on my computer and bought stuff whenever I could. And that lasted some years, during which my album collection grew from few to few hundred. Since then it's been kind of slowing down. Partly because I started school and had to make decisions between records and alcohol.
These days I get really excited about things infrequently and don't spend most of my time thinking about music. I rarely buy albums, because I have to watch my spending (and I still have albums I haven't even listened). I'm not one of those atsonicpark type of people who constantly go through (downloads) huge amounts of stuff and make lists.

It's true that the sheer amount of things in the internet might be a drawback in someways as it might become a burden or chore to check out as much things as possible (if you're the completist kind of person). obviously no one has enough time to listen to all that material thoroughly.
You dig something, you buy the album... and there's still tons of similar and just as interesting things left to find. I kind of feel bad if I just download everything and then give it a one go. I don't anymore feel the need to explore every genre like some years ago, but I'm glad that nowadays it's possible if I want.

Lately I've been discovering music via Spotify, which these days has surprising amount of things (not thurstonmooreapproved c-cassette black metal though). I've been using it to form a playlist for later reminder. A bit easier as you don't have to fill up yr hard drive and it's already organized.
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|