View Single Post
Old 01.03.2009, 05:11 AM   #12
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
From Wikipedia:

The NME C81 Cassette was given away with the British magazine New Musical Express in 1981 and released in conjunction with the record label Rough Trade. Intended to mark the first 5 years of the independent label movement in the UK record industry and Rough Trade itself, it was the first in a series of many cassette releases from the paper. Publishing a tape was also an acknowledgement of the flourishing self published cassette culture of the time that the NME had been supporting in its short lived Garageland column.

The NME were overwhelmed by the demand for the tape as over 30,000 readers sent off £1.50 for a set of 24 remarkably diverse tracks ranging from jazz (James Blood Ulmer), poetry (John Cooper Clarke), ska (The Beat) and 'Canterbury Scene' (Robert Wyatt). Simon Reynolds called it "post punk's swan song" noting the appearance of 3 acts from Scottish independent label Postcard and the emerging new pop tendency of bands like Aztec Camera and Scritti Politti alongside post-punk luminaries as Cabaret Voltaire, Subway Sect, Red Crayola and The Raincoats.

Side one
"The "Sweetest Girl"" – Scritti Politti
"Twist and Crawl Dub" – The Beat
"Misery Goats" – Pere Ubu
"7,000 Names of Wah!" – Wah! Heat
"Blue Boy" – Orange Juice
"Raising the Count" – Cabaret Voltaire
"Kebab Traume Live" – D.A.F
"Bare Pork" – Furious Pig
"Raquel" – The Specials
"I Look Alone" – Buzzcocks
"Fanfare in the Garden" – Essential Logic
"Born Again Cretin" – Robert Wyatt

Side two
"Shouting Out Loud" – The Raincoats
"Endless Soul" – Josef K
"Low Profile" – The Blue Orchids
"Red Nettle" – Virgin Prunes
"We Could Send Letters" – Aztec Camera
"Milkmaid" – Red Crayola
"Don't Get in My Way" – Linx
"The Day My Pad Went Mad" – The Massed Carnaby St John Cooper Clarkes
"Jazz Is the Teacher, Funk Is the Preacher" – James Blood Ulmer
"Close to Home" – Ian Dury
"Greener Grass" – Gist
"Parallel Lines" – Subway Sect

I'm dead sure I've seen this posted on a blog a while ago.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|