View Single Post
Old 05.08.2016, 04:40 PM   #5
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I thought I wanted "Spectre" to pop up on this record. I figured that since it didn't make the film, maybe it could be repurposed here, perhaps with a slightly less Bond-like arrangement, or a different title. But I'm glad it's not. Bond songs are practically a genre of their own. As great as "Spectre" is, it clearly doesn't line up stylistically with what they're doing here.

Speaking of what they're doing here... I don't really know what to call it. This album definitely isn't a radical departure for them musically, but it's nothing like TKOL. Seems like its closes sonic relative might be Amnesiac, but it also feels fresh somehow.

I wonder how A Moon Shaped Pool will be talked about in the context of the band's musical mini-personalities. If TKOL was krautrock, In Rainbows was "psychedelic," HTTT was frenzied, sprawling creative stew and kid a was minimal electronic non-rock record, etc. then what kind of hat will this album wear? Is it even worth pondering or talking about?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|