View Single Post
Old 07.19.2010, 06:42 AM   #107
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Toby from Kayo Dot seems pretty down to earth. I mean, he's actually made tons of albums, for 20 years now, alienated his bands who have all quit on him at various points, I think he's very driven by a very specific sound, and I think he's good to the people who recognize that.

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/feature.php?id=5615

This is a really good interview.

But, yeah, rock musicians as narcissists.. well, really, any musician who puts their music out there, wants it to be heard, and I don't believe that most people do things without wanting something in return. I mean, if I give someone money, I at least want a "thank you", even if I don't expect them to pay me back, right? If a musician is putting it out there, they want to be recognized for something, otherwise they'd just make the songs and keep them for themselves.. or, hell, just never take the time to record them. Artists seek ... something. Recognition, fame, money; I think it's more important for littler bands to at least be recognized for talent, or innovation. They want a review to read, "THEY MAY NOT BE WELL KNOWN, BUT THEY HAVE SOME DOWNRIGHT CLEVER STRUCTURES. THAT HAND CLAPPED PART LEADS WAY TO A GHOSTLY SYNTH AND DELICATE TRIPLE VOCAL HARMONIES." I mean, we've all those moments as musicians where we think of some "brilliant" little part, and we want people to pick up on that, I think. I dunno. It just goes to question.. why play music? Why record it? Why take the time to layer parts, to add keys or to overdub or to re-do takes or listen back to what we played? We're all craving.. something.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|