View Single Post
Old 01.04.2008, 06:22 PM   #142
Kina
children of satan

Kina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
personally, i cannot relate to dissing a whole genre of music. have had (like Kina said) my pop dissing periods when i was young, but mostly regarding specific artists. some i started to like when MATURED (<-- irony), some i still dont like like whitney houston, or mariah carrey -although i loved some remixes i heared and that made me change a bit my mind on her.
its different when you grow up along with pop music of your time. easier to like some songs, but the opposite takes place too. for example i hated pump up the volume when it was a hit, after some time passed by, i loved it.
glice asked about embarrassing. i remember yesterday that had got a reo speedwagon record. but as have stated many times here, i dont related to embarrassing or guilty pleasures. i relate to feeling guilty for not exploring world music for example.
you can have music you like and enjoy and music that does all that along with fullfiling you. i dont see any problem with that. on the contrary.
i happy that can play daft punk and digitalism or my other love depeche mode. but ok, i dont buy or listen to contemporary pop. it doesnt mean that i cant enjoy it when its played around me.
the 5 first records dont feel them as representing much, for me at least. nor genetics played a role for obssesed love for music in my case (or my brother's, even if he listens to whole different kind of music). my parents were listening to music, classical, disco and they taught me of beatles for example, but i dont think they were ever obssesed with music.
backround..am not sure. it helps i guess, it can be limiting too. i was listening to whole different bands that really loved at the time and when i first listened to telescopes-taste and then to sonic youth, i thought that this is the sounds i was always looking for. been having that feeling a lot past years and am happy for this.
sorry that this was long, and repetative. plus hate when phonecalls interrupt me. i lose track of what wanted to say.
i think limiting yourself and being absolute, you are missing things in music, in life in general.

ps! the only time i felt "guilty" was when i read that jim o' rourke hated "the the". havent yet fully overcome this, but i ll live.

you are right. (i always hated the term noise)

There's some stuff from the 80s that I would have just considered as normal and wouldn't have thought was fun at the time but when they play now has '80s groovy' & funny appeal to me when I hear it played somewhere, like MC Hammer or something, just cause it's something that brings back memories of the decade and because that style isn't done anymore now but it was seen as really funky back then. But yeah Mariah Carey will never have that appeal!
Kina is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|