View Single Post
Old 10.11.2010, 10:36 AM   #16
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks for the kind words.

The LP is named after one of the songs on the album; I don't usually like the idea of "title tracks" so much, but we had a song called "Second Ascension" and with this being our second album, the lure of the pompous and grandiose-sounding title was too strong to resist.

The OBI idea originally entered my mind as a way to keep that back flap closed, but we all decided that a full-on wraparound OBI that had to be carefully removed every time one wanted to listen to the LP would be kind of annoying in actual use, so we went with the CD-style side-folded OBI.
It is something I love in Japanese packaging and something I have always wanted to see on one of my own releases. The design in general is pretty plainly inspired by Fushitsusha et al. Those records look timeless and beautiful to me, and I have always loved that design sensibility.

As for the writing, I figured if we were going to do the OBI, it really should have the Katakana like a "true" Japanese import. I stopped short of including the printed price in Yen, but I could not resist putting the phrase "Super Heavy Rock Trip" on there. Originally that was only going to appear in the Japanese section of the text, but the designer we worked with put it in one of the layouts and we all thought it was hilarious.

We may be a dour bunch, but let it not be said that we are humorless.

(And I am a fan of Ascension, even if they occasionally seem to have made dubious bass choices. Excellent band.)
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|