View Single Post
Old 09.07.2013, 07:33 PM   #15
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I thought it was fantastic too suchfriends.

(Fuck. I've known you how many years? What's your first name already? You know I'm Brad right?)

Yes Brad, I'm Habte Selassie by the way, though I keep it gutter, most folks I know don't go by given names but monikers, so I always just think of you as noisereductions.. I used to go by Wise from the MH Krew and Jah Chris Naphtali (which is how like 30 people in Trinidad and Jamaica still only know me, I got a rep there apparently) until I became Habte Selassie. Now that's me

Yes, I consider you a real friend by the way, not merely an internet friend 1990s AOL style.

Quote:

The sad thing... it's cuz it is so fantastic. But it also sounds... like a whole new thing. It sounds like the band is really gone. It sounds like THIS is this really sad audible memory of the band. It sounds like this is what we have now. As pretty as what we have now is, it's a reminder of our bygone years.

I feel sad. I feel that an era has escaped us. I feel we're all getting older. I feel that we cannot hold onto the past. I feel that we don't know what the future holds.

Of course we don't. But there was a time, not that long ago, that we could rationally think that the immediate future always promised a new SY album.

Quote:
Strange memories on this nervous night in Las Vegas. Five years later? Six? It seems like a lifetime, or at least a Main Era — the kind of peak that never comes again. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run . . . but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant. . . .

. .
You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . . So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark — that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.”

By the way, an era hasn't escaped us. Life evolves, progresses, changes, that's the fun part. Even Sonic Youth was an evolving art, and I think as people they'd be upset that we Sonic Youth fans might somehow find their current projects less interesting. Do I necessarily listen to the other things as much as Sonic Youth music? No. But I dig that they're still doing new things, keep it going in their way, as musicians always do.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|