View Single Post
Old 01.05.2019, 07:50 AM   #50650
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
That's extremely sweet of you.

Could you answer a conspiracy theory I have? Whenever we go out to a restaurant we always get our drinks way before our meals. I know that that's partly because they're much quicker to prepare, but my other theory is that they'll hope you drink it all quickly, be thirsty, and then pay for another drink to go with your actual food.

It's somewhat off-topic and I'm not Pony, obviously. But: I'd say that's a rather standard practice. Never actually worked at a proper restaurant, but I attended an economy-oriented school that was in part focused on the culinary sector, so take it with a grain of salt. But from what I remember, we were taught to always serve the drinks first, even if there's a starter, Amuse Gueulle, Hors d'oeuvre or whatever you wanna call it. That's because it's generally agreed upon that drinking is a tad more important than eating (which makes sense given that the human body can survive a bit longer without food than without water). As for the long intervals between drinks and food served: Well, working in a kitchen is a stressful job and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone - the experiences I had at the school's own restaurant were enough for me. There are often many different orders that need to be tended to, it's a complete pandemonium sometimes. So things take some time. But that's just a generalization. Not ruling out that certain individual places may actually see some monetary opportunity in that. There are some shitty places as well, no doubt about that. But in general I see no malice in that practice.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|