View Single Post
Old 12.05.2016, 12:45 PM   #1932
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
the BIG problem with these articles are that they don't look at how self-serving and exculpatory the people are being. I (used to) work with just the type of folks in the article. And, since I am white and blue eyed and don't talk a bunch, they generally felt free to express themselves. And, what the majority of them wanted was to see a white, male, gun owning society. That and tax cuts. Peel back the onion (I was going to say something else ) and you'll find just that.

I hear you. I work with people like this too. What's more, I cover school districts that are filled with high school teachers who think it's OK to spout their political opinions to their students, even if the smarter ones do it with some measure of subtlety.

In all the talk about what Hillary got "wrong" and what Trunp got "right" in reaching the American people, we can't blind ourselves to the fact that many of the people are extremely limited in their thinking. In-group biases are a fact of life, and I think this article (the Newsweek one) acctually does a fairly good job of illustrating this. We hear people unabashedly claiming that they want fewer "Hispanics" in their town.

I get that Hillary didn't run an ideal campaign, and as Symbols had said (in this thread or maybe in the "funny" one) it is a mistake to simply write-off Trump and his supporters as ignorant or bad people... but it's also a mistake to pretend as though ignorant and bad people were not part of what made this happen.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|