Thread: The A Band
View Single Post
Old 10.16.2008, 07:01 PM   #5
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
As a recent Ashtray Navigations convert (muchly due to the good word of those on here), and someone who's never really been able to Love the more aggressive noise stuff ive heard (Wolf Eyes, Yellow Swans etc), im encouraged by the idea of an associated band being fun.

I dont think thats a constructive point, but i thought id say it anyway

I think I know what you mean. If you're put off by the more Academic-like Noise bands such as Birchville Cat Motel and thing like that, I would highly suggest to you any of the bands associated with the To Live and Shave in LA camp. Tom Smith established To Live and Shave in LA as an Experimental Unit that was still fun and sleazy while still being remarkably intense in opposition to the more Academic-bred experimentalists like Nihilist Spasm Band and Merzbow. They called this the "Free Glam" aesthetic.

Check Out These:
Pussy Galore-i forget the name of it, but Tom Smith, founder of TLASILA, played with the Galore during this period and released this amazing rehersal tape to lend proof to the belief that the Pussy Galore rehersals were as chaotic as thier live shows. This is nuts; as youd expect from a band with Neil Hagerty and Jon Spencer this is a total Opiate-induced psych-Noise Blues improv explosion. Nuts. Prollymy second favorite Pussy Galore release.

All To Live and Shave in LA releases.

Miss High Heel-The Family's Hot Daughter (super chaos noise band feautring every good musician who played noise in chicago in the 90s and led by Tom Smith and Marlon Magas of Couch and Lake of Dracula)

Lake of Dracula-Savage Land

To Live and Shave in LA 2-Kill Misty Martinez

Ohne-Ohne

All Laundry Room Squelchers releases

All Scraping Teeth releases

etc.. These bands all make amazing Noise and other forms of experimental music that is actually in the great tradition of the sleaziest and grimiest Rock n Roll bands. Tom Smith is a musical genius, donchaknow?
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|