View Single Post
Old 03.12.2017, 02:38 PM   #120
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Talented? Sure. Colloquially speaking, anyone who can play or sing or write or draw is at least a little bit talented — skilled is a more accurate word, even if none of the skill is innate (anyone who takes enough drawing classes and has fingers will eventually be able to draw) or expert-skill (scientifically inexplicable speed and proficiency in mastering a activity, technically and in a manner that suggests a keen understanding of what makes the activity meaningful).

So YAH. Like, pretty much everone who professionally does anything relating to art or sports or chess or computer programming, etc. has some "talent" if you're using the colloquial definition. Science places a distinction between "talent" and "skill," with "talent" being reserved for hypothetical discussions of innate ability and expert skill. Lots of study is done to determine if innate skill even exists, or can be measured, and it's fucking fascinating stuff, really.

But dudes... really? Avril Lavigne?

I take WAY too much shit about thinking Kanye's talented to swallow this without a fight. She's "talented" in the most basic way. Sub-Taylor Swift level talent. Perhaps even sub-Britney level talent. What characteristics does her music exhibit that makes it stand out? That makes it unique?

I will never dis people for the music they like (unless they do it to me first, then I'll get super immature aboit it, as you all know), but my opinion is that this particular artist has contributed nothing of substance to the world of music. That's just my opinion. Maybe I missed something awesome that she did. But ... what exactly moves someone (lookin' at you louder) to resurrect a 2011 thread to say Avril Levign is legit?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|