View Single Post
Old 09.08.2012, 11:25 AM   #16151
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99

I've been busier than usual, therefore I've tried for the past two days to squeeze in some time to watch Fritz Lang's "M". I've fallen asleep both times due to the circumstances but I remember noticing certain things in the second viewing that I didn't appreciate the first time. I'm not sure why I've never seen this one. Fritz Lang is an interesting director to me, and my favorite of his work so far is The Testament of Dr. Mabuse.

You absolutely must see his American films. Not his Westerns so much but his crime films. The Big Heat, Scarlet Street and The Woman in the Window are some of the bleakest films Hollywood has ever produced. I actually prefer them to most of his German films, although I do think M is a masterpiece. Metropolis bored me silly, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
I appreciated it more than I ever have this time around. I loved the quick shots of the bumper cars that Woody placed in proximity with his character bumping into other vehicles when Annie leaves him. I really thought that was brilliant. I felt more of an emotional connection with the film towards the end, when it plays the song that Annie sings.. "seems like old times" and it shows the flashbacks of their relationship just after it has seemingly ended. And of course that quote from Woody right before the film ends. I wouldn't disregard this film as pessimistic.. Woody adds sincerity and absurd dark humor that all makes sense to me. It's somewhat sad and beautiful at the same time. I'd have to admit it's one of my favorite films of all time. Most of the reviews I've read from writers I particularly admire are quite mixed on this one.

I'd recommend you go see it if they play it in your area, demonrail.

Yeah, I really must. It tends to get shown quite regularly so I've probably just taken it for granted a bit. Plus I've now seen it so many times on TV that I can pretty much repeat the dialogue line for line. But there are certain scenes that I imagine would be amazing on a big screen, like when he goes back to Brooklyn or the scenes in LA. Oh well, until the next time it's screened, "la di da"
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|