View Single Post
Old 07.25.2014, 09:10 PM   #21
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I think Warpaint got a bad wrap. I know their album was a little mid-'90s, lacking the promise of their live performances and the deep dark L.A. cool of “the Fool,” but it wasn't insultingly bad or anything. It was one of the year's first big indie rock releases, and it kinda got it's ass whooped by titanic monsters like Thee Silver Mt. Zion's “Fuck off, Get Free...” and the really hyped up Perfect Pussy debut.

Both of those records are, of course, infinitely better than Warpaint's s/t offering, but they had a lot of industry eyes on them and I'm sure they felt some pressure to perform, leading to atypically picky, clean production and a sound that wasn't really their own. So I'm not gonna judge them. Nirvana had the same experience when they made “Nevermind”, only with better results.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|