View Single Post
Old 12.08.2016, 06:51 PM   #142
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Look to early '00s IDW for some badass horror comics.

30 Days of Night was really something ... even the movie was ok, but the movie only focuses on one storyline. My favorite horror comic EVER is "Juarez; OR; Lex Nova & the case of the 400 Dead Mexican Girls."

It's fucking down and dirty horror noir that's actually scary and it's also FUNNY AS FUCK. The main character narrates his thoughts and actions, out loud, in real time, regardless of who's around or the appropriateness of what he's saying/thinking.

Just fucking great. It has nothing to do with the 30DoN movie or anything like that. It's just the main story in a 30DoN collection called Bloodsucker Tales. Art by Ben Templesmith.

Oh my god it's so fucking good, seriously. They could have made a great movie out of this one story. To this day this stands as one of my favorite comics ever, and it's been a decade since I read it, but I still remember so much about it.

Read Lex Nova, guys. Holy shit. Schizophrenic paranormal Detectives, vampire priests, dead hookers, tequila. Magnificence.

I've heard great things about 30DoN but your recommendation has confirmed it, so another one for my Amazon basket!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Have you read his book? Sure he said he's retired from comic books now.

And to be fair to him, he's written three comic books that'll always rank as some of the best books ever. If I had just one of them I'd die a happy man.

I'm not sure if he's completely abandoned comics. I've tried to read both his novels but couldn't finish either. He's frustrating. If only he could get over his bitterness towards the industry. I think he did his best work when constrained by 2000AD and DC rather than when he was given total freedom. I agree that, had I written Halo Jones, Watchmen, V For Vendetta, Swamp Thing, From Hell, etc, I'd be happy too, but his recent stuff just isn't in that league and probably only has any readership at all because of his name. I respect him for going his own way but I don't think it's benefitted him creatively.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|