View Single Post
Old 10.16.2011, 12:44 PM   #162
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
Is Kim Less talented than Steve, Lee, and Thurston?

Of course she is. She's wonderful, and she makes the band, but as a musician she's not even in the same game, let alone league, let alone ballpark.
Sorry.

I love her, and worship her, and her voice can bring me to tears, but I've seen them live enough to know that she's not a particularly gifted musician. Her contributions are more aesthetic and thematic and lyrical.

She's not less talented, I guess- but she's not talented in the same way. Thurston, Steve and Lee are all expert, top-shelf musicians- some of the best in the business.

N offense Kim. You're an extraordinarily talented woman. I'm just talking about sheer musical accuracy right now. Your artistic talent knows no bounds.

Aesthetic/thematic/lyrical...all of these concepts are important. Kim adds a key ingredient that could not be replaced. They all do. Each member adds something to the pot and that is what makes them Sonic Youth. Her lyrics are some of the best. And yeah, her bass playing might be simplistic (Thurston's guitar playing might be outrageously creative at times, but seldom is it anything complex. And yes, I tend to prefer "creative" to "complex") but it's an important factor in holding down what the rest of the band is doing. I'm positive not just anyone could come along and do what Kim does. Your comments are a bit unnecessary. Thats fine though, unnecessary posts are often some of my favorites.