View Single Post
Old 08.10.2012, 06:14 AM   #57
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starcat
This is very true... I'm absolutely terrified of losing my edge and listening to silky-smooth lite rock till the end of my days. Mid-life crises wasn't what I should have said. More likely it's a post-SY crises: after playing in a band for three decades, long enough for two and a half generations to go square under their surveillance, it makes sense for hi to want to apply himself in the most far-flung corner of itunes that still has some sonic link to noise rock

Having an edge is never about the music one listens to. Especially these days. I'm usually more impressed by those willing to fuck the preconceived notions of "cool" or whatever. Albini saying he didn't like jazz...I thought that was cool, and I really dig jazz sometimes. Was just sort of unexpected and said a lot more about his own music than I thought it would (honestly, I assumed him to be someone that might dig jazz). I guess a punk rocker talking about Marvin Gaye is kinda cool to me. Giving away albums (not to replace the same ones with vinyl) but for the sole purpose of someone else enjoying them is kinda edgy. I mean, some people have got all they are going to get out of Black Flag + Sonic Youth...course, this doesn't make either band any more or less.

I think Thurston doing the black metal thing is neat. He hasn't a damned thing to prove to anyone at this point. I mean, he's Thurston Moore. He fucked Kim Gordon. He's met virtually any musician worth a fuck over the past 35 years (many of which he's actually jammed with). He's largely responsible for Bad Moon Rising.